Cervicogenic Headache Treatment
All the Headache and Pain Management Centre team pride ourselves on treating cervicogenic headaches. Literally meaning a “headache that comes from the neck”, cervicogenic headaches have a long list of diagnostic criteria that fit this diagnosis.
Ever-increasing research, knowledge and understanding, stemming from years of studying headache and migraine, is making it clear that it’s not just headache on one side of the head that is indicative of cervicogenic headache.
In fact, various different types of head pain that weren’t previously thought to be caused by the neck, now have been shown to be neck related in a large majority of cases. These head pains include:
- Tension headache
- Cluster headache
- Hormonal headache
- Vestibular migraine
- And many, many more.
Is your headache caused by your neck?
Headaches caused by your neck are usually as a result of your top three joints not being able to move in the way that they should. It is important to note that a joint having difficulty moving properly will not show up on a scan; the diagnosis must be confirmed via physical examination from a skilled clinician.
“Direct” interventions such as nerve blocks, Botox or electrical stimulation to the neck may not successfully treat a cervicogenic headache, as it is the lack of movement that is causing the pain referral, rather than anything inflammatory or structural.
- A headache that swaps sides is definitely neck related
- A headache that is one sided or bilateral, has neck pain involved, and when scans are clear, is extremely likely (>90% chance) to be neck related
How we diagnose and treat your cervicogenic headache
At the Headache and Pain Management Centre, our clinicians use world-first cervicogenic headache treatment techniques to diagnose where your pain is coming from, and treat that specific cause.
Your cervicogenic headache treatment normally consists of:
- The Watson Headache® Approach. This is the most reliable and likely treatment to work with any type of headache. This uses direct movement of your joints and reproduction and reduction of the familiar problem to fix your head pain.
- Direct treatment of your muscles if this does not work fully, either with massage or local strengthening work.
- Postural correction and education. This often means a gentle strength program for your neck and shoulders, or use of the MedX Lumbar Extension machine.
We know what we are looking for. We don’t guess what triggers your cervicogenic headaches. You won’t need to keep a food diary, or play ‘trial and error’ with medications. At your first consultation, we will be able to tell you if your neck is the underlying cause of your cervicogenic headache and sore neck.
We understand what you’re going through when you suffer from a cervicogenic headache – and we have the answers that can help. For your cervicogenic headache treatment, please call us on 1300 16 55 33 or use the contact form above.
Talk to us
We’ll listen to your story of headache or pain. Please get in touch with us below.