Other types of headache/migraine conditions can be confusing to diagnose without proper physical examination.
In the literature there are over 300 different types of headache described. However, the research that is now being done and our clinical experience shows that there are not 300 different causes. Ground-breaking research is showing that it is in fact, a sensitised trigeminocervical nucleus that is the major cause, regardless of diagnosis. While common migraine, migraine with and without aura, cluster headache and tension headache are probably the most commonly recognised of the headache/migraine conditions, at times other diagnoses are made which are also primary headache conditions.
These can include:
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Abdominal Migraine
- Basilar Migraine
- Vestibular Migraine
- Sinus Headache
- Hypnic Headache
- Hemicrania Continnua
- Mixed Headache – i.e. if you have 2 or 3 (or more!) different types of headache
- Headaches that ‘come from your jaw’
- Blurred vision, nausea or dizziness when all tests and scans are otherwise clear
- Red Ear Syndrome
- Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
- Other head/facial/sinus/ear pains without diagnosis.
The key things to note are these:
- All of the above conditions can be caused by a sensitised trigeminocervical nucleus.
- The input that passes through this nucleus include the neck, scalp and face, blood vessels in your brain, and can be regulated by serotonin.
In summary, if you treat and accurately diagnose where the issue is coming from – the top of the neck is a very real possibility in these conditions above – then the problem resolves itself. An excellent explanation of the reasons for this can be found here.
Using world-first techniques, clinicians at The Headache and Pain Management Centre are able to diagnose where your symptoms are coming from, and treat that cause. We know what we are looking for. No more guessing as to what ‘triggers’ your headaches, no more food diaries, no more medication trial and error. On the first day, we will be able to tell you if your neck is the missing piece of your headache/migraine puzzle.
Headache and Migraine conditions are our specialty at The Headache & Pain Management Centre. We understand what you are going through. To find out more contact us on 1300 16 55 33 or use the contact form above.